Cook like a Pro: Summer’s Essential (and affordable) Cooking Tools

Ever wonder what to buy with that amazon gift card? Do you have a wedding coming up and need good gift registry ideas? Look no further-  I have identified the top five cooking tools needed to complete your summer kitchens along with links to a site that sells the item at a good price. This list is in order of importance.

1. Chef’s Knife

Most people overlook the importance of having a solid chef knife to rely on for all types of at-home cooking. This knife by Victorinox is a great value. Buying knives does not have to be a daunting task and more expensive doesn’t always mean better. Whatever knife you get, be sure to learn how to sharpen it! All knives will go dull after awhile and the steel (steel rod that is included in a lot of knife sets) does not sharpen the blade, but simply align the burrs.

Victorinox 10-inch Chef Knife with Black Fibrox Handle ($29.95)

2. Whetstone (Sharpening Stone)

Caring about your knives means sharpening them. It’s a fact. The easiest way to sharpen your knives is to use a whetstone. This process is pretty simple but you need to make sure that you are doing it correctly or else you can ruin the edge of your knife. For the at-home cook, a good whetstone should be at least 250 grits. The units of grits indicates the fineness of the grain on the stone and therefore how sharp it will make your knife. It is best to start out with a lower unit of grits so that there is less chance of ruining your knife. Start out with a whetstone like this:

Kotobuki King 250+1000 ($30.00)

3. Grill Pan

If you live in a city, outdoor BBQs and poolside parties don’t happen as much as you’d like. To get the grill marks that are needed for any great burger or steak, treat yourself to a grill pan. This is a great alternatives to outdoor grilling and will make for a healthier alternative to sautéing vegetables since less fat is required in the pan. If you are looking to cook steaks, fish, or burgers, start out by using the grill pan in order to get the hashmarks then finish in the oven. This will ensure that the piece of meat does not dry out and the inside cooks to the appropriate temperature. To cook vegetables in a grill pan, simple spray with non-stick cooking oil and you’re all set to go. Finish the vegetables with olive oil, lemon, salt and freshly grated (good quality) parmesan cheese.

Lodge Logic Pre-Seasoned Square Grill Pan ($18.97)

4. Digital Instant-Read Thermometer

A food-safe thermometer is essential to any cook, whether you are a professional or at-home chef. Thermometers ensure that not only are meats cooked to the desired internal temperature, but they are safe for consumption. The summer is the perfect time of year to get yourself a thermometer to make sure that the steaks are cooked to your guests’ liking. Do not get embarrassed to temp your meats in front of friends- get embarrassed when you need to throw something back on the grill when it is not cooked properly. The appropriate internal temperatures for red meat (steaks/burgers) are as follows:

Medium Rare: 130-135 degrees

Medium: 140-145 degrees

Medium Well: 150-155 degrees

Taylor Commercial Waterproof Digital Thermometer ($12.00)

5. Salt & Pepper Grinders

In my opinion, there is nothing tackier then salt and pepper poured out of a cardboard container. If you are going to have people over to your home for a BBQ this summer, please provide salt and pepper grinders. They are relatively inexpensive and go a long way. (Note: a salt GRINDER is superior to a salt shaker) If you buy a salt grinder, be sure to refill it using coarse salt.

Starfrit Salt and Pepper Grinder ($16.99)

What do you think of this list? Did I leave anything out? I’d love to hear your comments below!

19 Responses to Cook like a Pro: Summer’s Essential (and affordable) Cooking Tools

1. Mary Fitzpatrick says:

I think a really good grill brush is essential for cooks who grill a lot. I found one recently that came packaged with several replacement brush heads, which is means you don’t have to dispose of the entire brush when the bristles wear out. Great list, Kelly!

2. Leon says:

I think its because I actually drank several glasses of water.
    If you cook in large batches, you can avoid common dieting
    help mistakes that people tend to make regularly.
    It’s really very simple – you simply need to break free from dangerous habits and to adapt to a new survey by the NPD Group. Remember, our body is storing this glucose in the liver and pancreas.

3. If you need to perform this type of things, you’ll be able to actually buy it within the internet because there are a lot
    of online sellers that you can trust to obtain the most effective baby accessories and baby clothing bluehost student discount anyone will get themselves in financial hot
    water quite fast, and in the event it happens, locating a way to reduce monthly costs
    is essential.

4. dating says:

You can expand your vision of what a good man/woman is. Instead, that’s the motto ofMissTravel, a new
    dating method then you could try free cell phone dating services operate in a very dating profile examples simple, easy-to-use, way.

Are you single in Sweden? It’s a poignant portrayal of romantic, human love, even though it’s difficult and there are
    many challenges, you can’t let your ex take advantage of you either.
    So there’s that moment, where you exchange phone numbers almost immediately, before you know very dating profile examples
    much about the person.

5. Thanks designed for sharing such a pleasant opinion,
    article is good, thats why i have read it fully

6. Greetings from Colorado! I’m bored at work so I decided to check
    out your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the information
    you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
    I’m surprised at how quick your blog loaded on my mobile
    .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, awesome site!

7. I do not even know how I finished up here, but I thought this publish was great.
    I don’t realize who you’re but definitely you’re going to a well-known blogger if you happen to aren’t already.

Cheers!

8. switches says:

Ones info in addition to hints exceptionally helpful if you
    ask me. Thanks actual a large amount in advance. Your current understanding within this
    subject is fantastic, I’m glad that will this is became aware of.
    Thank you for a second time!

9. Arlette says:

Can you tell us more about this? I’d want to find out more details.

10. I blog often and I genuinely thank you ffor yoour content.
    The article haas really peaked my interest. I am going to take a note of your site and
    keep checking for new details about once per week. I opted in for your Feed too.

11. site says:

These are really wonderful ideas in on the topic of blogging.
    You have touched some nice things here. Any way keep up wrinting.

12. Actually no matter if someone doesn’t be aware of afterward
    its up to other viewers that they will help, so here it occurs.

13. My spouse and I stumbled over here different web address and
    thought I should check things out. I like what I see
    so i am just following you. Look forward to looking into your web page yet again.

14. Hi everyone, it’s my first go to see at this website,
    and article is truly fruitful for me, keep up posting such posts.

15. This post will help the internet visitors for building up new website
    or even a weblog from start to end.

16. switche says:

Can I simply say what a relief to find somebody who really
    understands what they are discussing over the internet.
    You definitely understand how to bring a problem to light and make it
    important. A lot more people need to check this out and understand this side of your
    story. It’s surprising you aren’t more popular since you certainly possess the gift.

17. Pingback: weight loss pills.

18. Apolonia says:

Thanks for the good writeup. It in fact was a enjoyment account it.
    Glance advanced to far brought agreeable from you!
    By the way, how can we keep in touch?